Monday, March 30, 2009

Sit and Spin

After much internal debating, I decided to buy the DVD, Sit and Spin by Jacey Boggs of Insubordinknit.com. I like to figure things out for myself, but I was really hoping she had the secret to getting foreign objects in to the yarn on my Ladybug spinning wheel...Turns out Jacey's wheel has a large orifice. In fact, she makes fun of her friend with a "small" (actually average/standard...like mine...3/8"...sniff) orifice.

No worries, though. I feel that I defiantly got my $40 worth from this DVD! I had a few "Duh! Why didn't I think of that?" moments, but there were more pointers that I wouldn't have thought of until I had made a lot of unusable yarn. Plus, trying to figure it out on my own is really just plain old stubbornness. If we had to re-invent the wheel every time we created something new, we would still be living in caves. So, in the name of artistic (and personal) growth, I am learning to accept help from others. Sounds kinda silly, I know, but I think stubbornness is a disease.

For my first yarn using techniques from the video I used Kiriko Moth's Spring Concerto roving and Claudia Handpainted Silk Lace in Ocean Depth.

The technique is called "Racing Stripe". It is super fun and easy. Plus, it is way faster than plying and produces a smooth yarn.

2 comments:

evel dread said...

Yummy yarn!!! That looks awesome! I wanna touch it :) Looking forward to more!

Emilybug said...

Thank you! I look forward to making more! :)